Monday, June 14, 2010

Post # 3



Response to:

Scott McLeod: Don’t Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?

I like this post! It is so true that parents, teachers, and faculty believe that only bad things will come from letting students use the internet. The author makes a good point at the end when he uses his children as an example that kids who are allowed to use multimedia tools will surpass kids who don’t.

Some information on Scott McLeod: He is an Associate Professor of Educational Administration at Iowa State University and the Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE). He is also the co-creator of the Did You Know? (Shift Happens) videos. He has received numerous national awards for his technology leadership work, including recognitions from the cable industry, Phi Delta Kappa, and the National School Boards Association. Information gathered from the Web Site Dangerously Irrelevant.

The iSchool Initiative

After seeing this PowerPoint presentation, I was very excited about the future of school and teaching. To be able to reduce the cost of education to a school while saving the environment and allowing more accountability on the students, teachers, and parents is exciting. I believe that this form of education would greatly improve student’s success rates not only in high school, but in college and the job market as well.

I think that everyone is scared of change. Yes, it will have flaws but all of them are correctable. The one comment that stuck out to me was “what if the teacher’s ischool crashes”? The beauty of this application is that she would only have to get a new Ischool because all the information will be devoted to a server, not limited to her phone. In the end, I believe this program could help education greatly.

The Lost Generation

First, I would like to say that this presentation is spectacular. The way the author gets her point across is amazing. This is a true masterpiece. That being said, the point the author is trying to make is that our generations values and ethics are on the downslide. When we care more about money and work than our own family we as a society are in trouble

It is up to the next generation of workers to establish that money is not everything and that true happiness can come from having a family and values that are appropriate to that person’s life. I personally will not let money run my life. It is important that my family lives without want but I will not sacrifice my values and beliefs to make this happen.

Eric Whitaker’s Virtual Choir

After viewing this work of art, I cannot express how amazing technology is. To see Mr. Whitaker take several web-recordings and mesh them together to form one beautiful piece of work is astonishing. It is amazing how technology can bring people from all over the world together. Imagine if this was employed in every classroom throughout the world.

Students would be connected and education would soar. Imagine if teachers could communicate 24/7 with other teachers from around the world. I could not imagine how would change if this was implemented. Imagine a united network serving one goal, to educate the next generation. That would be the best gift any child could ever receive and would create endless possibilities

5 comments:

  1. Good post Adam!

    You made some excellent points but one stuck with me in particular. You said that people are scared of change and I think that is so true. We all get in our comfort zone and that is no big deal unless we have a lot of authority and influence and our unwillingness to change effects a lot of other people in a big way. Unfortunately, the older we get the more influence we have and the more unwilling we become to accept change. I think as life long learners we must remain aware of this and be sure that we are open to new things.

    Keep up the good work Adam. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam,
    Enjoyed your responses. Glad to see your not going to let money run your life. Wish I had a little money, but since I don't, not going to let it run my life either.lol. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam! I am a student in EDM 310 Fall 2011. Your posts were short and to the point. I like the way you mentioned the extensive work and awards that the author had received; it certainly makes him a credible advocate for education. You are right that school-related personnel can have a negative impression of technology in the classroom. I agree that Dr. McLeod made a good point challenging the educators or parents to see whose children will be ready in the world of tomorrow.
    Again, you paraphrased the iSchool Initiative Project well, and I did not even remember the possibility the author mentioned about a crash, but you're right- a $150 ipod is easily replaceable. You highlighted the main ideas well, about cost, environmental advantages, accountability and the future job market, and expressed your view in concurrence with his.
    I used the same adjectives in my post re: Virtual Choir. It is breathtaking to see someone synthesize so much into one beautiful sound. And children could benefit well. Music classrooms could get a lot out of this type media manipulation. I am glad that you are so enthusiastic about teaching and using media tools in your classroom. It seems the only way to be a modern, effective teacher in today's market. Thanks for your insightful posts!

    Gretchen McPherson
    EDM 310 Fall 2011
    USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! My name is Sarah. While reading your post on Mr. McLead I understand where I went wrong on my explanation of him. You gave a very clear description of who he is, what he does, and what he was saying with his post.
    I also enjoyed your enthusiasm of the virtual choir. I thought it was quite impressive myself. I hope that after this class I can create something that cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Adam. I am also a student in Fall 20011 EDM 310.
    I enjoyed reading your blog post. I really enjoyed your slide show because I actually know your sister Holly. I graduated high school with her and I was good friends with her in 6th grade.
    I also enjoyed reading your post about how great it would be if teachers could communicate with other teachers. I also believe this would make education so much better. Learning from each other is something we should always do.
    Great post! Tell your sister I said hi! :-)

    ReplyDelete